Friday, May 23, 2008

Sigrid - My thoughts on a coat

Though May is in the timeline the period for gathering materials, for me it's the decision of what to make. I'm one of those who have to buy the materials for the coat, so deciding on which coat to make is the first thing for me.

I'm not an experienced seamstress when it comes to coats. I made my first coat in many many years (a Marfy pattern) last year, and in the end didn't wear it that much at all.

Looking for a pattern for a winter coat now very much reminded me of Carolyn's post of this week about a magazine that in the May issue had Fall fashion as a feature.

To the matter at hand. BWOF did have a few coats that I like, but they were all in the plus-size range and I don't want to start with downsizing a pattern.

I have Vogue 8465 and today ordered Butterick 4665. For the Vogue pattern I see the same problem as Shannon described: the neckline is so open, how do you wear this? For both I consider the short version.

What do you all think?

The Butterick pattern The Vogue pattern
image image

5 comments:

Lisa said...

The Vogue pattern! It will look awesome on you!

Lisa

Sandra said...

This is a tough one. The Vogue pattern is quite dramatic and lovely, but the Butterick will probably keep you warmer. (Sorry that doesn't help, does it?)

Sandra

Meg said...

This is a tough call for me but only because with your slim figure you'd look great in both.

Sally said...

Love that Vogue coat - dramatic and interesting. Why worry about keeping warm??

Seriously, that is probably not the coat to wear out in a snow storm, but it would be great with toning high neck tops. Or make a big shawl/scarf in a patterned silk to tuck in all around.

Sally

Jenny said...

Oooh, I prefer the Butterick. I thought about using that one with the bigger collar. It would still be classic and wearable for years.