Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gry: Shell Finished

Autumn is getting nearer, so I thought it was about time to get that coat finished. So far, I have assembled the coat shell:

I am not quite satisfied with the position of the pockets, but I will leave them as they are.

Still to do:

  • Finishing the collar
  • Sewing the linning
  • Hemming
  • Sewing snaps on (I gave up the hidden placket thing because I thought the fabric was too heavy for another layer).
I need to read a bit about linnings and hemming and I still have a problem with choosing the correct interfacing for my collar, but the coat should soon be finished.

I have written far and wide about the process on my blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Claire S. - V8346, what am I doing wrong ?

Here we go again - Sleeves had diagonal wrinkles - after checking Els' instructions, I unpicked the sleeves and moved the shoulder dot forward about 1/2"

The wrinkles seem worse than before, should I have just left the sleeves alone or done something other than moving the shoulder dot forward ? And any ideas what to do now ?

The pics show tonight's change first - compared against the same view(s) from my last post.


Right side...

Left Side

Jenny's coat shell - part 1

So I decided to just go for it and started constructing my coat shell last weekend.  Here it is so far.  It looks a lot like my muslin since it's a creamy white color wool flannel.  You may notice it's a bit shorter than my muslin was.  This is totally a result of material constraints.  I bought the fabric before I had a pattern in mind, and it's a miracle I got all the pieces cut out.  I should have bought more fabric.  Anyway, I think I'll be just as happy with a shorter length coat (as opposed to knee length).  It means less white wool to get dirty.

After I took the above picture,  I made my bound button holes.  This is only the second garment where I have used this button hole technique, so I'm pretty happy with the results.  In the picture, the lengths look a bit uneven.  I'll have to check that out tomorrow.  I'm spent for this evening.

Next, I think I'll put on the facings for the front, and then the collar (connects to the funny curved shoulder piece, not the fronts), and finally the sleeves.  I'm still a bit undecided about the horizontal pockets and flaps.  I left space for the inseam pockets, but I accidentally (wasn't thinking) sewed the horizontal pockets closed.  I'll have to check those out and decide if I should just take out that stitching or do some kind of welt.  I'm not sure, and of course, being a Marfy pattern, there are no instructions.  I must admit, I'm finding that pretty liberating.  I just do what I think should be done next.  So far, it seems to be working out ok...

Again, I'm using Marfy pattern 1414 for my coat.