Friday, May 23, 2008

Jenny - my plan

I'm very excited to join my first sew along! I've been wanting to make a coat for a while now, and this will hopefully give me the jumpstart and timetable I need to get it done by fall. I already have a plan...

I'm going to use this wool flannel coating fabric that I recently purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics. It doesn't feel very flannel-y to me. It has more of a little pile, and I love it!

...and I plan to use this Marfy pattern. I love the slightly different collar, and that neckline is just begging me for a fabulous knit scarf or three. My biggest concern is the prospect of possibly having to alter the shoulders, since the shoulders and collar all look to be one piece. I usually don't have to do much altering, but I've never made a Marfy before.


This will be my first Marfy attempt as well as my first coat, so it should be interesting. If you're not familiar with Marfy patterns, they come with the pieces already cut out, but there are minimal markings on the pieces, there are no seam allowances, and no directions. I will definitely have to make my first muslin with this project.

I'm off to order the pattern and search for the perfect lining and buttons!

3 comments:

ACorgiHouse said...

Jenny, that coat is going to be gorgeous. I'm interested in how you like Marfy. I've been getting their catalogs off and on, but never used a pattern. It appeals to me that the pieces are already cut, as that would save a lot of time. I'll be watching! K

Sigrid said...

Definitely a beautiful coat. With the fabric you chose it should become very similar to the drawing.

Linda said...

This coat is going to be gorgeous. I have not tried a Marfy pattern either, so I will be curious to here how you like working with this pattern company.