Saturday, May 24, 2008

random replies

Charity, that looks like a really ambitious project.
And, it reminds me of the embroidered coat from Norske Strikkedesign.
The basic jacket is knit, then most of the patterning is done with embellishments.
See one here by Tricotfolk
I have the book, (it's OOP and highly coveted and expensive) and I'll be happy to get it out to take a better look at how they're making the embellishments. I seem to remember reading it, back when I first got the book, and much of that outline is done with chain stitched yarn that is then appliqued.
Have you ever done any needlefelting? There are hand punchers, and now a couple of SM manufacturers are making embellishing machines. Bernina has an attachment for freehand needle felting too that will fit all their machines with oscillating hooks.

The sketch you've done also reminds me of some of the most incredible best designs from the last winter issue of the Spanish fashion mag I have, !Hola!
I'll have to get my scanner hooked up and show you some of them.
Also, do you have the book on Fine Embellishment Technique by Jane Conlon?

Sally, can you order a swatch of the fabric you're considering? I've never seen a wool/linen blend. I've seen and worked with the fabric called Silk n wool, that I believe is something like a 54/46% blend, and is suiting weight, that is fabulous.
Linen has no yarn memory, and wool has quite a lot, so I'm really curious as to what this blend looks and feels like. Usually, when mills blend fibers, it's to get the best properties of both, and I'm not sure I understand what it is that they are looking for with this blend.
It could be wonderful, could be not-so-much. Because there is so much wool relative to the linen, it could tailor quite nicely. What style coat are you considering? And how much warmth do you need?
My recommendation would be to get a swatch, even if you need to order 1/8 yd.

Sigrid, you're posing the classic dilemma: fashion vs function. I think what coat you decide upon ultimately depends on how cold it gets where you are and what you need from your coat. The Vogue with the open collar is very trendy, and will probably look dated in two seasons. Is that an important consideration?

Jenny, I'm to the point where I wish American patterns would leave the seam allowances off. I think you'll love working with your Marfy pattern.

Erica, those will be two stunning coats. I think we're both channeling some of the same design inspiration sources. Independently we're coming up with some of the same designs. I know when you emailed your original choices to me that the MK jacket was on my list for the red cashmere already, and I've got that NL dress that you just made in my pile. Can only say that I love what we're both coming up with.

KarenT, your coat is going to be classy. Love your fabric.

No comments: