Saturday, July 5, 2008

Melissa's second muslin

Marji's analysis of my first muslin is here.

I first folded up the muslin and raised the waist to match my natural waist. Then I let out all the vertical seams by 1/4" (except in the front and back above the bust). Then I raised the shoulder seam by about a 1/2" (I didn't have enough seam allowance to let it out any more). And then I slit my second sleeve down the centre and added about and inch throughout the whole length.

In these photos I'm wearing a thick fleece and my new shoulder pads (details below):






(NB: the wind is blowing the walking slit open in the last photo, disregard that)

I'm really happy with the fit of the sleeve now - it doesn't pull when I raise my arm and the bicep is much looser. I think I could still raise the shoulder a little bit more, so I'll cut the seam allowance a 1/2 wider in the final.

I'm still not sure about the body fit, though. It feels like a bit of a sack, and doesn't really have a defined waist at all (though frankly, it didn't much before either)...

Oh, and I took the day off on Thursday and did a bunch of shopping through the good haberdashery shops that are usually only open during the working week. I got some fabulous shoulder pads from MacCulloch and Wallis for £2, and sleevehead from Kleins for £1 a metre! I've got detailed shopping info on fehrtrade.com, and both places sell those bits online, too.


1 comment:

ejvc said...

Thanks for posting, Melissa. I need some shoulderpads for my coat too, I might head over to MacCulloch & Wallis too.