Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Claire S. - V8346, questions re: sleeves

I can hardly believe it, but I have been working on adjustments all week and think I managed to make the body of the muslin fit - but before I post more pics, Marji mentioned putting in the sleeves and collar.

The suggested sleeve to use is a 2-piece - this pattern has a 1 piece sleeve.

For those of you who are also making V8346 - Are you using the 1 piece sleeve or are you using a sleeve from another pattern ?

I also have the McCalls pattern M5247 which has a 2-piece sleeve - how do I know if I can use this sleeve pattern in my coat ? I don't know what to measure or how to tell if it will fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 comments:

Jean in NC said...

Hi Claire,

I am also making a coat that has a one piece sleeve and I have been a little concerned about that, but I seem to recall that Marji said in an earlier post that she would have directions on how to turn the one piece sleeve into a two piece sleeve. So I have been waiting for her follow up on that and hopefully it will answer all our questions.

Linda said...

I believe that because of the time issue, Marji suggested using a two-piece sleeve from another pattern instead. It is simple. Overlay the body pattern piece with the two piece sleeve over the body pattern for the one-piece sleeve. Trace the armhole front and back (use a different color pencil). Now your armhole will match the sleeve you are using. You will need to line up the shoulder seam and side seam.
That is a brief description that I hope helps. Possibly someone can do this and post an entry showing the steps.

Lisa said...

Hi, Claire.
I got out another jacket pattern from Vogue. It has a 2 piece sleeve. I laid out the V8346 sleeve pattern piece on bottom then layered the new 2 piece Vogue pattern piece on top. I moved the under sleeve to both sides of the upper sleeve to get an idea of how it looked against the V8346 1 piece sleeve. I also measured at the seam line on both patterns to determine if they were different. They weren't. Hope that helps. Sorry I don't remember which is the other vogue pattern I scavanged from.

Claire S. said...

Thanks everyone - I'm going to try to use the M5247 sleeve. It's the only 2 piece sleeve pattern I have. I also have extra muslin so I've got enough to try again if I mess it up. Wish me luck.