Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cafe Couture: Muslin fitting

This post concerns my first coat , the 3/4 one and the drawing is here below (click on picture to enlarge):


Well, I must say that after cutting the musling and stitching all the parts together I said what a wonderful idea this was because I actually have a problem with the the size of the pattern: I cut a 38 size, which I usually cut in Burda magazines, but this is definitely too small. About two sizes smaller than toaday's Burda patterns I would say.


So, there's work to do :I'll need to widen an lengthen almost all the parts. You can see all that on the pictures below (click to enlarge).

The question is that this is a 1974's Burda edition and the pattern in the magazine is available only in 38 size. The challenge now consists in making the right adjustments and I may need to read additional litterature about critical points when enlarging a coat pattern. It doesn't seem an easy thing to me so far.

I was wondering: are vintage patterns really smaller that today's ones? I do not really have experience with vintage models except some "baby doll" dresses, easily adaptable.

To conclude, I have a feeling that I have to restart all the tracing and cutting process again and that's kind of unincentive. I hope I'll resource myself enough during vacations in July to remake it all:)

As to my second coat, I cut the muslin but did not put it together yet. So, I'll be off until July 20th, I may start the second coat musln fitting by end July. See you all then.

2 comments:

Nancy K said...

There is a posting on one of the vintage pattern sites, sorry I don't remember which one, that has a link to a tutorial on grading patterns. Yes, vintage patterns are not cut on todays slopers.

cidell said...

I love the vintage BWOF magazines (not that I can read a word of it). I've never seen the grading process before. So, I'll be watching your work carefully!