Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cafe Couture Vintage Coats

Hello to all Great Coat Sewalong participants, this is my first post here and I am hapy to introduce you the patterns I've chosen for my coats. I could not limit my decision to one, so I'll will be making two - I know I am not the only one in this case :)
Here are some details:
The Dress coat pattern (black and white picture)comes from the Burda Jan. 1975 German edition and wll be made from a black fine wool fabric which I bought some time ago. I picked this pattern because to my eyes it is an unusual clothing and suitable for soft winters in Paris as it has short sleeves. It may be elegant when belted and worn with a dress or cooler with pants and flat shoes.
The second pattern (hereafter)is a Burda 1974 Sept model, and I like the collar and the length and i'll probably wear it with large pants and high heels. I'll scan the back view of the pattern and publish as I go on with it. The fabric for it is cafe-au-lait wool with different nuances of brown stripes, but really soft. I intend to cut in stripes horizontally for a beter vintage effect.


I did not buy the muslin, neither the lining yet, but plan to do it next week (did not have any in stock of it and wanted to know exactly the type of coat I'll make before buying). I'll complete this post with pictures of the coat patterns drawings from the magazines (which I need to scan).
P.S. Marji - I am so grateful to you for organizing this coat sew-along, this is a première for me and I am constantly thinking of how I would do this or that, will I alter the patterns or not, is fabric suitable all these kind of things etc. etc.- and then I find most of the answers on the Great Coat Sew-along blog. That's great!

7 comments:

Tany said...

Fabulous choices, Lucia!

Nancy K said...

Great patterns! I wish that they would reprint some of these vintage beauties.

Ann Made Studio said...

Love your choices!

Claire said...

Fantastic choices! I especially like the first one...love the details.

Marji said...

Happy to have you here Lucia. Both are great coats, but I'm partial to the 2nd one. Love the look of the topper!

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Lucia .- much success for these projects. I love his idea of "robemanteau" I love you, is my "fetish" clothing. greetings. Paco

Mon Café Couture said...

Tany, Claire, Ann, Marji - glad you liked my choices. Thank you. Can't wait to see the result.

Nancy K - yes, you're right, they should reprint their best vintage patterns, I would suggest Burda a special Vintage edition:) That should be fun to make.

Paco - I love dress coats as well, so rare to see them now. I hope I made the right fabric choice for this one - a soft black wool, cashmere touch.