Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Laura's muslin

I just erased my whole post! Ugh!!! Now it's late, so I'm just gonna have to make it short and sweet.

I'm making Vogue 1266, view C (brown coat) out of a dark red wool from Gorgeous Fabrics (Princess Red) with the cuffs and collar in black faux lambs wool from Emma One Sock. I have no clue on the lining yet.

I cut my size (based on the bust) straight from the pattern with no adjustments.

Pics with no sleeves:
I've got the shoulder pad in the left shoulder. I forgot to turn under / cut off the SA on the right. The waist hits my own waist perfectly. I do have 6" of ease in the waist and am missing a defined waist. As you can see there are some vertical folds in the back. Too much width? There's also one on the front by the bust.

I very much feel/look like a sack of potatoes.

Pics with the sleeve:
I'm thinking it's a size too big.

I have 6" of ease in the waist
and 6" of ease in the hip.
Again, I need a waist.

There's some goofiness going on at the CF, but I think it might be the way I've got it pinned. If you don't think so, please let me know.

The last pic is of the arm bent and pulling forward. There seems to be too much bunching going on. More than there should be.
I want to do bound buttonholes. I've never done them before either. I'd also like to do piping around the lining.

(Oh, can someone please tell me how to upload pics so I don't have to keep dragging them down to where I want them? Thanks!)

Let me know you you think. Thanks!

2 comments:

Mary OK said...

after you upload your picture, click on it, click edit, cut, then put your cursor where you want to put the picture, and click edit, paste. Hope this helps!

Marji said...

I agree, it's too big.
Is this the typical weight of clothing you'll be wearing under it?
I think your armscye might also be too deep, which is also a function of cutting a larger size.
Because of the way patterns are drafted, the princess lines don't change, the change takes place at the side seams and the shoulder height.
Would you be willing to take it apart at the side seams and shoulders and just recut your side seam/armscye/shoulder then put it back together again? Next time put both sleeves in too so that it doesn't pull to one side.
You only need 4" ease in the waist ;) so yes, that can come in, and in fact you may want to adjust that a bit after you get the whole cut smaller. But I'd make the big change first, then put it back on.

BTW, yes, I always place my pictures the way that MaryOK just outlined, but it works to drag them too.
Or you can place them in the HTML mode.