Monday, June 23, 2008

Michelle L.'s Muslin for comments

I am making a coat for my fiance, and he selected Vogue 7988, view c, the single breasted version:


I have just completed the muslin, and here are the photos.

The front:

I drew a chalk line at what the pattern indicated was the center-front. I cut a straight 44, and he has enough room to put the muslin on on over a suit jacket. It is pinned closed in the photos.

The back:

There are two chalk lines drawn on the back, the top one is the line that the pattern indicates is the waist, the bottom is Jeremy's actual waist. because of the shape of the back, I don't know that it matters that his waist it lower than the pattern, but would welcome any comments. I did not bother with properly constructing the back flap for the muslin, but just folded it under.

The back appears to be just slightly too wide, i.e, the two vertical creases, and I will take it in just a bit to accommodate that.

The side:

Jeremy is a bit heavy around the waist, and I was surprised that there was no pulling or twisting. I had considered giving him a bit of extra room right around the waist, but by not doing it, it seems to disguise without seeming lumpy. What say you all?

I welcome any comments or suggestions.

5 comments:

Marji said...

see the comment I wrote above in Jamies post - re fitting with the pads you bought. I wouldn't adjust anything until you put those pads in.
And I know zilch about fitting menswear, but I can tell you that I think you're going to have a beautiful coat here.

cidell said...

Hi Michelle (I'm a fit moron but thought I would comment anyway).

I think if you go ahead and correct for the waist, it would in fact give him a bit more room in the waist. I also think that your current version does a great job of hiding any waist thickness and I see no lumps whatsoever. What a stunning looking coat this will be!

Michelle said...

I had a bit of a "Duh" moment when I completely forgot to put the shoulder pads into the muslin.

I didn't get a photo since I was chasing J. out the door trying to do this this morning, but I put in the pads, and those vertical lines in the back completely disappeared.

I am completely amazed that a completely unaltered pattern has come out so well.

Liana said...

I think the tapering at the wasit is wonderful and I wouldn't change a thing if it's comfortable for him. It gives him the ideal men's figure, which is what you should be aiming for, and you've got it!

Maggie said...

What a lucky guy!!! The fit looks great, which goes to show (I think) men are easier to fit than women.
Marguerite