Monday, June 23, 2008

Marji: Remember your buttons and threads

As I'm button shopping it occurs to me that we haven't really covered this under assembling your supplies, but you're going to need your buttons come mid-July for making bound buttonholes.

Then, I was doing a very weak effort at gazing at a couple of blogs on my blogroll - I'm so hopelessly behind - when I saw that Dawn put up a post about testing threads for topstitching.
This would be a good time to be looking for the thread you want to use too. Especially if you're making pockets that require a flap that will be topstitched.

Taunton Press article on threads and uses

Thread sources:
Gutterman makes topstitching thread, and at least around here it's available at the chain stores - Joanns. Altlanta Thread actually has some silk buttonhole twist.

Red Rock Threads YLI jeans stitch topstitching thread is one that is sold locally here and I like it and have used it

Silk Things, source for TIRE silk thread: If I remember correctly this is Kathryn's go-to thread.

Mettler makes a 30 weight Cordonnet topstitching thread. I'm not sure about sources to buy it at retail.

_____________________

And as long as I'm posting about buttons,
I'll shamelessly use this forum to ask if anyone sees
these in their travels to call me. Email me.
Stand on a roof and wave your arms at me.
They're a discontinued LaMode button, and come from old stock in a local store. They don't have close to enough. I had a card with the stock number on it, however, have seemingly misplaced it at the moment. The colors on the monitor are off, but the match is really good IRL.

Paco suggested I could cover buttons, and that's a possibility. And I've got generous volunteers out all over the country scouting buttons for me. But these have sort of nabbed my attention.
I'll need 10 buttons that are 5/8" - 3/4" and another 6 buttons that are 1/2" to 5/8" in size.

Thanks ;)

2 comments:

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

oh no! those look perfect, too... I just got my buttons in the post this morning, actually. Here's a big photo. 8 big ones for the double breasted front (though as pointed out, I may not need that many with my shorter bib), and 2 slightly smaller ones for the sleeve cuffs. I'm in love with these buttons!

Marji said...

Oh Melissa, I love those buttons. I have some very similar in my stash that came from a little flea market/antique store in Wisconsin. The owner bought out the inventory of a Czech glass button factory when it went out of business in the early 70's.
Great buttons.