Thursday, June 12, 2008

Nneka: From Teal to Tangerine


My teal wool blend didn't quite work out as I imagined (see my blog entry here), so I ordered the Bright Orange wool/cashmere blend from Gorgeous Fabrics and a creamy, yellow silk jacquard from Denver Fabrics to make up my coat. I'm making Vogue 2935, a semi-fitted, hip-length coat.

I've gotten most of my notions and supplies, but I haven't yet decided what to do about underlining. Truthfully, I'm waiting to see what others who are using this fabric choose to guide me as I don't really know what I'm looking for in an underlining. From what I've gleaned on this blog, I figure I need some sort of underlining to support the cashmere portion of the blend so it doesn't bag out in elbows. I also plan to take my fabric to the only couture fabric store in my area that I know of, Richard Brooks, to get some advice and actually feel the possibilities available like Marji did in her earlier post.

I'll be tracing off my pattern and doing some flat pattern alteration work this weekend.

5 comments:

Marji said...

The combination looks lovely Nneka.
I've asked Ann from Gorgeous Fabrics to pop in here and offer some suggestions for underlinings, and to comment on which of the woolens she's supplied actually require an underlining.
I expect she'll have some good ideas for you.

Nancy K said...

I have seen samples of Ann's cashmere blend and I really don't think that it needs underlining.

Marji said...

Which cashmere blend are you referring to NancyK? I have the 50/50 wool cashmere, and it definitely needs underlining - the one that is wine/syrah - the one that is more than $40/yd. I'm not sure about the orange though - I asked Ann to comment, and I see she wrote the post above. If you have the orange, you might drop Ann an email and ask specifically about that fabric.

Marji said...

Nneka, Ann answered the issue of underlining this specific fabric in her comments under her underlining post. There you go! This pertains to everyone who has this, and there are a few of you.

Nneka said...

Thanks so much everyone for chiming in! I just saw Ann's answer. I'm still going to take it to Richard Brooks to test out some underlinings if only for the learning experience. I also suspect I'll go ahead and underline it (probably with the batiste Ann suggested)in any case, again for the experience.
-Nneka