Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Marilyn B's Coat Plans


Deciding which pattern to use for my everyday coat took me a while to figure out. After going back and forth with a couple choices, I finally chose Vogue 7978. I very much like the two-piece sleeve and the princess line through the shoulder. All the vertical lines will make it much easier to fit without distorting the original design. I plan to wear this coat over suit jackets. I also could not decide between two fabrics in my stash, a taupe wool/cashmere blend and a grey & brown tweed. Much as I love the taupe fabric, I felt my pattern choice was not special enough for it and I could find no other pattern I wanted to use with this fabric. Thus, I decided upon the grey & brown tweed from Emma One Sock which will go with much of my winter wardrobe. I plan to sew view D (the grey single breasted coat) hemmed just above my knees. I have ordered interfacing and lining, but still need to find buttons.

I also want a new short winter jacket, but that decision was much easier. I have a wonderful vintage pattern in my stash and a great piece of green wool waiting for it. The pattern is Vogue No. 482 which is a Couturier Design from the early 1950's. I want to make it a little shorter than shown on the pattern so that I can wear it with pants. There are fewer fitting lines and the sleeve pattern is only one piece, but with curved seams. Since this is meant to be loose fitting, I don't see many problems with fitting adjustments. The wool I chose is from Emma One Sock in a green Pantone 16-0435 if you have a Pantone color guide. This will be a cheerful color during winter and looks great with black, charcoal and most browns. I still need to find lining and a great button and plan to go searching for these in the next week. In the meantime, I can concentrate on fitting the muslin. This sew along gave me the push I needed to make this jacket.

4 comments:

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

oh! that vintage pattern is just beautiful - I'm swooning with delight over here... And I love that shade of green so much, I painted my bedroom that exact shade when I first moved to London. The two together will make a wonderful statement jacket!

Heidi said...

Great patterns and fabric!

Cennetta said...

Love your choices. Great fabric and pattern match up.

Patricia said...

I hope you are not offended, but I am using the exact pattern, view and fabric as your EOS tweed and Vogue pattern. It will be interesting to see the results!MaryPat