Sunday, June 8, 2008

Barbara's pattern and fabric choices

Hello everyone,
I'm Barbara from Germany(Bavaria) and I'm very happy to be able to take part in this sew-along. Again great thanks to Marji and all people who make this possible. 
As I'm no native speaker, please be a bit lenient toward me regarding my English skills ;-)

The first coat I want to make is a knock-off of a René Lézard style which I saw last winter.
Unfortunately I couldn't find any photo of it on the internet.
I will use a pattern from an older Patrones magazine as my basic pattern.
For the collar I want to use a vintage pattern from a German magazine called "Neuer Schnitt".
Neuer Schnitt was the former name of the "Neue Mode Stil" patterns. The "Neuer Schnitt" magazine is from October 1964.
Additionally I want to add a kick pleat in the lower part of the center back and side seam pockets.
Here you can see the Patrones and the Neuer Schnitt pattern.

My fabric choice for this coat is a double face wool coating in grey/anthrazite from Gaenslen&Voelter. It is a blend from virgin wool, mohair and cashmere. Gaenslen&Voelter is a traditional wool mill here in Germany and I had the luck to live near its factory outlet for some years. You may know it from BWOF under the name "Calwer Tuche".
For the lining I chose a heavy-weight duchesse lining from 100% rayon.
Additionally I want to felt some flowers in light pink and light grey onto the front of the coat.



If I still have time left, I want to make a light weight coat for fall.
My pattern choice for this coat is burda 10/2006 no. 111


My fabric is a wool coating from 100% virgin wool, which I bought at the BOSS factory outlet.
Its color is a really dark chocolate brown and it has a subtle twill weave. Unfortunately I'm not sure how this kind of fabric is called in English. In German it is called "Woll-Diagonal".
For the lining I have to choose between three rayon linings.
The first one is beautifully printed with light brown and lilac flowers, the second one is a solid jacquard lining in chocolate brown and the third one is a retro print. I think my favourite one is the first one but I am still not sure. Your opinion is really appreciated.


I'm looking forward to a wonderful sew-along with you all!

No comments: