Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Claire S. - A Bit of Progress

I’m starting to make some progress – I’ve got my wool flannel London-Shrunk, I can pull a thread right across from each end and the grain’s been straightened. The underlining flannel has been prewashed (multiple times). Decided Kasha lining will be the way to go for our Montreal winters, but haven’t yet purchased it – I will, with much optimism, hope it goes on sale before I need it…If not, I’ll get it anyway, there is a dark red I really like.

I bought real muslin and am about to start…will cut out & press the pattern pieces tonight. Evenings are so short, I don't get much done at a time.

Blogging is new to me (as in just the past few weeks !), soon I’ll figure out how to post a picture :-)

2 comments:

Marji said...

Claire, before you purchase your lining, you may want to take a piece of your coating wool and underlining mounted together with you.
The concern I have is that the flannel of the underlining rubbing against the flannel-back of the Kasha may cause the lining to constantly hang up inside the coat.
Typically the flannel back linings are a way to shortcut the underlining process and provide additional warmth. Since you're actually underlining, and using a coating wool, my suggestion would be to choose a lovely, tightly woven slippery lining fabric and use it.
In any case, you won't be needing your lining for awhile, so it can wait until your coating and underlining are cut and then you'll have scraps that you can put together and take shopping with you.
- Truth: I still don't have linings picked out for my 3 projects!

Claire S. said...

Ok Marji - I was going to use just a slippery lining and got worried about the sturdiness - everything locally is lightweight, good for skirts & dresses but not for coats, I guess. I didn't really know there WAS different weights of lining until now !

I just received a lining bundle from Fabric Mart and there a few that are much heavier/sturdier than I'm familiar with & I was sure that they would be too much for a skirt lining. It's possible I may be able to use one of them.