Monday, June 9, 2008

AngelaO's Coat



Sorry that I'm late publishing my plan. I read about 70 sewing blogs to get my "fix" since I haven't been able to find time to sew. I just graduated college (late, I've been 29 for a while), got a "real" job, and moved to the D.C. area from a very rural area. I relined my winter coat in December and didn't find it that difficult so I knew I wanted to make a whole coat. However, it is intimidating to get started. I was very excited when Marji suggested a coat sewalong. This was exactly the push that I needed.
Several months ago, I participated in a contest that Ann (Gorgeous Things) was having and I won a Patrones magazine (No 249). What a wonderful magazine!!! I saw this coat and knew that this is what I needed. I have several very professional and somber looking coats but nothing fun. I wanted a coat that would be perfect to wear during a snowball fight, something that would look great with jeans and tennis shoes. I purchased royal blue wool/nylon for this project (from Gorgeous Fabrics) and I am still looking for the perfect lining. I would like flannel backed satin in a cool print, like martians or polka dots. So far I've found Hello Kitty and Tinkerbell, however I'm looking for something a little less girlie.
The first obstacle that I will have to overcome is that the extent of my Spanish covers food, beverages, and where is the bathroom. I was able to translate most of the instructions except "poliamida a cuadros", does anyone know what that means? I have no idea how many buttons I will need, but I guess I will find out once I trace the pattern.
I'm really excited to follow along with all of you, I can't wait to see all of our finished creations!!

Happy sewing,
Angela

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the sporty collar and hood on your pattern! The royal blue will be very fun.

Tany said...

Hi Angela! What a beautiful coat! About the spanish translation, "poliamida" is a type of fabric (it refers to the fabric's composition) and I believe it translates to polyamid. "Cuadros" means squares or glen checks. I believe the instructions are referring to the lining, right (since the coat is shown made of a solid colored fabric)? I wish you the best for this project!

Dawn said...

I love that coat. I'm excited to see it finished.

Nancy K said...

You might have better luck looking for a printed satin and using a flannel interlining instead. The flannel backed stuff is usually pretty limited even in color.
Great jacket pattern.

KayY said...

My Spanish is non-existent, but Paco Peralta published a Spanish sewing glossary on his blog recently and it may help. It's at http://pacoperaltarovira.blogspot.com/2008/05/diccionario.html
(hope that link works).