Monday, May 26, 2008

KayY - Woo Hoo - I'm in!

This is my first blog post! So exciting! I saw Marji was nearing the magic number for this sew-along (75) so I had no time to consider and just joined. I need a new winter coat - something made of wool. And something to coordinate with a fur scarf I purchased on the spur of the moment last summer. I think the scarf is made of mink - and it's black and blue.



I have two possible coat fabrics in my stash, which look OK with it - here they are:


I have 3.3 metres of this heavy wool tweed. You can see that cream/white/grey yarns are laid over and woven into the black base. The wrong side of the fabric is more black with white dots where the yarn is woven into the base.

Or, a more supple fabric:


This black bouclé is a drapier, firm weave. I have 3.1 metres of this fabric. It has a hard surface whereas the grey/cream tweed is softer, but thicker and so stiffer.

I also have 2.1 metres of another heavy soft tweed which unfortunately does not coordinate with the scarf but is very nice. Here it is, along with a coordinating lining fabric also in my stash. If I am REALLY organized I could make a fall/winter jacket out of it.



Since I am determined to make a wool winter coat that will show off my fur scarf, I need your advice as to which fabric you think is better, and what kind of collar I should aim for. I have Simplicity 4403 and am considering the Peter Pan collar. I also have zillions of old Burdas which I will look through.

Kay

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

I vote for the solid black with a simple collar (like the pink coat on the pattern envelope) to help focus attention on your scarf.

nancy2001 said...

Here's another vote for the solid black boucle. Your scarf is so exceptional in color and texture, you really want people to appreciate it without being distracted by a boldly patterned coat. Your pattern is elegantly simple, and the Peter Pan collar is perfect for this look.

Marji said...

Kay, the black and white tweed is indeed gorgeous stuff, but as a showcase for that wonderful scarf, I agree that you need to go with the solid black.

Claire said...

Kay, add my vote for the black also and welcome!