Saturday, May 31, 2008

Erin's Plan

I'm so excited to be a part of this sew-along! Thank you Marji for setting this up. Now let me start by saying I put my skills in the beginner to advanced beginner category, so you can count on me to be asking a lot of questions.

For my coat, I will be sewing Simplicity 4403. I think a couple other members are using this pattern so I'm looking forward to seeing it take shape from their perspective.

For the fabric, I've had this wool houndstooth fabric in my stash for almost 18 months now. I got it when Cy Rudnick's fabrics (Kansas City area) went out of business. I knew I wanted to make a coat out of it, but I never got started.



Now I need to get the lining, interlining, and maybe underlining? So many linings, I'm a bit confused. For the lining I am looking at either a flannel back satin or twill. I think I will need underlining, but I'm not sure. My fabric isn't very thick and the fabric is quite drapey, so perhaps I will need some for structure? Any advice is appreciated!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the fabric. It will make up so nicely!

I cry just thinking about Cy's. I LOVED his fabric. Many a day I have spent caressing fabric at that store! I miss it and have no reason to visit KC any more!!!!!

Claire said...

I really like your fabric Erin. We are making the same coat. I am planning the wrap version for my mohair fabric. Which view are you planning?

I consider myself an advanced beginner so I'll be asking questions right along with you.

Marji said...

Erin, from your comment up on Ann's post, it sounds like you're still wondering whether or not to underline for stability.
I can tell by looking at the picture (thanks for the nice large close up BTW), that yes, you do need underlining.
To preserve some of the drapier characteristics of the fabric, consider a silk habotai (china silk). Or something like Imperial Batiste, a cotton/poly blend.
In a store the china silk will run you around $12/yd, online I think you can find it for as little as $6 or $7. And the Imperial Batiste will run around $4.50 wherever you find it.
I would underline that in a cream or white.
I believe your best source, price-wise, for undyed white china silk will be Dharma-Trading.
I'd recommend the 8mm or 10mm.