Saturday, May 31, 2008

Robin's Fabric & Pattern: Vogue 7979

I will be sewing Vogue 7979 - the double-breasted version in knee length.

Here is the fabric I bought at G Street in Rockville last weekend. They were having a nice sale with an extra $20 off coupon. It may appear a little boring, but I swear it is really lively in real life. There are lots of fabulous little spots of bright colors and it will be a versatile workhorse.
I really wanted a black & white herringbone, but nothing looked just right. In a completely unrelated shopping mission for a home dec. project, I visited Michael at A Fabric Place.
There it was - the perfect black and white herringbone, on sale no less.
So I bought enough of that for a coat, too! There is a small picture on the website for item #497700 in Wool/Mohair/Silk from Italy (Ermenegildo Zegna). If you are still looking for fabric, I highly recommend a phone call to them - get some swatches- maybe he's got something you like. Now for lining. I think I will get that from Atlanta Thread. I have used their high-count Bemberg lining in the past and love it, love it, love it. I also have a lovely coat with a silk satin lining in it. Personally, I will never do that again. It seems to be the ultimate static magnet. I wonder if anyone else has had that experience with pure silk satin? What a disappointment becuase it sure was expensive. So for me, it is Bemberg all the way. So breathable and comfortable.
(I doubt if I will make both coats- the hard part will be deciding which one to sew!!!)
Happy Sewing, all!












2 comments:

Claire said...

Robin, great fabric. I will not be tempted to purchase any more fabric...I..will...not!!

Please allow me to pass along a tip I try to give everyone who has static issues. Use a dryer sheet to rub the entire lining and your outfit. You will probably need to do this every time you wear the coat, but at least it will be wearable without your clothing sticking to you like glue. I also run the sheet over my tights/hose and inbetween the fabric and lining of my skirt/pants.

Works like a charm and is far superior to the static sprays.

Alexandra said...

Great pattern and lovely fabric! I can't wait to see the result.
The herringbone fabric looks really pretty, too, at least from the swatch on the website.