Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sigrid's muslins

Earlier today I posted my new muslins on my own blog, as I knew I was too late for the timeframe here. Just read Marji's post that it's still OK to publish muslin pictures, so here are mine. Finally decided on a fairly classic coat with notched collar, sleeve vents and longer than my first muslin. (if you're interested in how to sew a sleeve vent, I've added a tutorial on my blog, and plan to publish another method this week).

Els was so kind to help me decide on the interfacing, as the fabric is a bit too loosely woven for a coat fabric. Both Melissa and Els sent me samples for the interlining, as also an extra layer for warmth is needed. Thank you both for your help.

I've decided on BWOF 11-2006-108 (without the cuffs, but in a version with sleeve vents). In the end I feel more comfortable with a collar style like this.

I made a partal muslin for the BWOF 12-2006-120 too, both muslins in size 44, but in the last one (shown on the left) I added quite a lot of space at hip height. As you can see from the other muslin, I need that.

11-2006-108 12-2006-120
The upper part of the coat with notch collar is (a bit) too wide. The other too snug. I wear the same winter jacket under each muslin.

I'm unsure how this space will be filled by a more substantial fabric, combined with interlining.
Same story in the back, back of sleeve is a bit too much space perhaps.
The side view of the coat I've decided that will be my pattern.
Should I use 42 or even 40 for the upper part?
Or would I need the space for fabric, interlining and lining?

I appreciate your comments on this.

1 comment:

Nancy K said...

I know that I commented on your blog, but I'll comment here too.
I know that you use a smaller size in Burda, so I would use the same size here and do the usual fba that you do. The coat is too big in the shoulders and upper body. The lower coat looks too big too, but this can be taken in when you make the coat. I know that you are concerned about the underlining, lining and coating taking up more room, but this is too much.
I also think that it is riding up in the front. I can't see the side seam, but it looks like it is hanging forward of center, which would mean that you need an erect back adjustment.
I do like this coat on you a lot. It's a very flattering style.