Saturday, July 19, 2008

Gry's Collars

I am getting a little stressed about my coat. It is past mid-June and I am not ready to cut the fabric yet. I have bought the fabric and prepared it. I have been to the library and have found out how to do the hidden buttons thing. I have worked with my pattern, and, I think, improved it. But I am not ready yet. The thing is that I don't know what collar to put on the coat. Until I know this, I cannot finish my pattern and get started on the coat.

When I first made the muslin, I thought I would leave the coat collarless, but I have changed my mind. I think the A-line coat needs a collar to balance it. The question of the collar is no easy matter. I have made coat-sketches since last Christmas without coming to a conclusion. I decided I would try out some different collars on the muslin. A secondary motive for doing this was to get some experience in drawing collars. So far, I have sewn 4 collars and drawn a couple more. Here are the two first.

Collar 1: Mandarin collar

A very classic collar, it makes the coat look like something from one of my vintage books. Perhaps, it is a little too classic for me? Besides, I don't think that the collar is big enough for the coat (I know, it is impossible to judge this from the picture).




Collar 2: Peter Pan collar

This collar is very sweet, but not quite what I am looking for. The collar might work better if it was bigger.






I will add more collars and full-figure pictures on my blog.

5 comments:

Digs said...

I love your mandarin collar, it shows off the seaming leading up to the neckline, and is unique. It does look a little tight around the neck - I'd probably give it 1 cm more of ease.

Nancy K said...

I like the Alexandra collar. The scale is better than either of these collars. The coat has a nice vintage feel to it, and if you wanted to use the Peter Pan collar, it needs to be bigger not just the size but it seems to be tight around the neck.

Liana said...

At first I liked the Alexandra collar best, but the more I look at it, the more I like the French Girl Collar. Its shape seems to accentuate the panel seams of the coat. I think it all depends on your personality. They would both be very nice.

Mary OK said...

My favorite is the Alexendra, but the French girl is nice too. I usually like angular lines better than curved lines, so it could just be my personal preference. I checked your earlier post to see what fabric you are planning to use. Have you made a decision about that yet?

Gry said...

Thanks for the comments. I agree about the ease of the collars. I need to make the neckline wider.

I think both the Alexander collar or the Peter Pan collar would fit the coat nicely, but I am going to try to make more collars (just for fun). I really like how different collars change the look of the coat. I will post my experiments on my blog.

About the fabric: I have chosen a green wool. I don't know the English word for this type of wool. It is a bit stiff and has a little shine. I thought this would work well with the coat. There is a picture in this post (from my blog):

http://fromthestash.blogspot.com/2008/06/big-coat-fabric-hunt.html