Monday, July 21, 2008

Jenny's finished muslin

Hello! I am having trouble uploading pictures to this blog for some reason, but I can get them up on my personal site, so if you'd like to see my muslin, please check it out here. I am very open to comments or suggestions.


Edited 17 July to add actual muslin post:

Yay! I finished my coat muslin and am about to rip it all apart to use as a pattern for my coat.

I'm very happy with the final fit, and I only had to make a few alterations. Again, the pattern I'm using is Marfy 1414.

I think the pattern was cut perfectly for me except for the sleeves, which I will explain below. Here are my first pictures, before sleeves, collar, and details. I tried it on over a heavy sweater, the heaviest I would wear with this coat. The only thing I want to change is to close the slits in back to the bottom of my derriere. I think they look a bit high as is.



I was happy with the overall fit, so I finished the muslin. I like the collar and pocket placement. I think the collar will have more body and stand up in the coating fabric with interfacing. I already added three inches onto the sleeve pattern for my freakishly long arms, but I think I need to add another for the final pattern to be safe. The back belt looks a bit high to me. I will put it an inch or two lower on the final garment. Finally, the sleeves... I put in my right sleeve first and it was so tight I couldn't get my arm through with the sweater on. I also did a crummy job of setting in the sleeve cap. I put too much ease too far down. (This is my first Marfy pattern, and I'm getting used to very minimal pattern markings.) For the left sleeve, I left the sleeve cap seam allowance out another inch and put the ease in the top of the shoulder. I also left out the two long sleeve seams to 5/8 inch instead of the original 1 inch. This made the sleeve fit me and the coat much better. What do you think?




















My left sleeve is the fixed version and the right sleeve is the poorly-fitting one. Finally, I didn't hem the coat or the sleeves on the muslin.

As you can probably tell, I'm very happy with my coat muslin. If you see problems, though, please let me know. This is my first muslin and my first coat, and I am open to constructive critiques. Thank you!

2 comments:

Nancy K said...

On the whole the coat looks great. What are you wearing under it, because it looks like the sleeve needs more ease.

Jenny said...

I am wearing a heavy sweater under the muslin in all photos. The right sleeve is the first one I put in with no alterations. I agree it was much too tight, so I left out the vertical seams and also the sleeve cap on the right sleeve. Do you think it needs more ease yet? I should have taken a profile picture of the fixed left sleeve. The right sleeve in the pictures was not altered after I decided it was too tight. I just made the changes on the left sleeve.