Monday, July 21, 2008

A Little Sewing on the Side: Comments on this muslin, please?

First off- just ignore the collar. I did not sew on the collar stand, so it looks weird. This pattern came out of Bernina My Label - the Three Quarter Length coat.
On my first try the shoulder seams were very odd- that back shoulder seam was fairly square and normal looking, but the front shoulder seam was extremely sloped. It hugged the armscye too tightly. So I made the front seam more square, to match the back and added a little extra to accomdate a shoulder pad. I am wearing shoulder pads here (yes, I have very slopey shoulders!)
I did not add any extra to the sleeve cap. Do you think it needs more in the sleeve cap?
This view, hanging in the window, shows the lines of the design pretty clearly.
It feels comfortable. I suppose I could add a little more for a high rounded back.
I like the length- comfortable for walking and getting in & out of a car. But I might prefer a collar with a lapel. Opinions welcome!

Marji: More edits on your posts:
Robin, while it's looking close, I think that yes, you do need more ease through the body/hip area.
I also am concerned about the sleeve cap.
If you scroll back you'll find Els post on measuring the height of the sleeve cap relative to the measurement of your arm. I think you'll find if you do this exercise that you may need more height in the sleeve cap.

***The other thing you can do is release the stitching above the princess seams around the top of the sleeve, then put it on, and smooth the sleeve up over your arm and up over the seam allowance over the shoulder pad. It'll fall where it should, and I bet that it will show added sleeve cap height.

2 comments:

Nancy K said...

I think that it fits pretty well, but I wonder if you have enough ease in the sleeve. Not the sleeve cap, which I wouldn't add to, but the biceps area. I also wonder about the pleat at cb. It looks like it is opening up on you, but it is hard to tell in the photo. Can you get someone to take photos and one side view too.

Mary OK said...

Robin, I wonder too if you have enough ease, especially since you are trying it on over summer clothes. I just looked at your blog and like the collar morph you discussed there. the lines are nice!