Saturday, June 21, 2008

Susan - 2nd revision V2884


6/28/08

Els has asked for pictures posed as holding a tray - her point being the coat may not be as full as the pattern envelope. So here it is - front and back pose holding a tray.

Here is another pose with arms crossed in front. Els, I see your point. If you look at the line drawing, it doesn't appear as full as the pattern cover. I do think with a lining it will more more freely but I am open to all suggestions. Opinions please?


The front and back are with both sleeves inserted. I believe that took care of the gaping on the right side of the neck. It is just pinned on the 2nd & 3rd button leaving open below. New comments/ suggestions please?








Here are some pictures - I don't have any idea how to place the pictures where I want them. The ones without sleeves are taken with a jacket on underneath. The pics with sleeves are with a heavy t-shirt. The fit feels the same.


The SA's aren't trimmed off the front, I only saw Marji's added notes after pictures were taken. However, since this is a loose fitting jacket - I don't think that is needed. But if somone sees something funny, I will be glad to take more pics with the SA's trimmed off. I will also put more pictures on my blog: http://fabricluver.blogspot.com/.

I took deeper darts in the front before sewing in the sleeves. I still have some fullness in the front at the end of the darts, I think. Do I want to take in more - or since it's a looser fit, leave it alone? Overall, I like the fit. It seems very comfortable and with a lining it will slide much better. The waist mark is about 1" above my navel - I think that is correct. I like the length and the sleeve length - I can't believe I didn't have to make it longer!

Digs had mentioned the collar not fitting as she would like on her version. This is in a great place for me so no adjustments there. I truly would appreciate any comments/suggestions.








This will be made with a black fuzzy mohair from V2884



10 comments:

Nancy K said...

It doesn't seem as full in the hips as the pattern picture. The rest fits nicely I think. Without the sleeve in I thought that you might need a square shoulder adjustment, but those wrinkles were gone when you added the sleeve.

fabricluver (Susan) said...

Thanks for your comments Nancy. I do have it pinned at the center front bottom and of course the buttons only go down to the waist and then left to swing open. I will check though without pinning at the bottom.

Els said...

Best way to see if the jacket fits as it is, is with both sleeves sewn in. Now with only the right sleeve attached you see that the jacket/neckline/collar slides towards the right side.
It is common that both arms of a lot of women are not the same length due to carrying groceries but also because you are or right or left handed and this can result in a too short sleeve length if not altered in time.

patti said...

Hi, Susan--The muslin fit looks good to me (I'm making the same coat). Regarding Nancy's comment re: the muslin not as full as the pattern picture: the line drawing demonstrates less fullness/swinginess than the stylized drawings on the front of the pattern envelope. It does appeara that the extra fullness in the dart area disapeared from the right side when the sleeve was added. I'd put in the other sleeve before making any decisions about adjusting the dart.

fabricluver (Susan) said...

Thanks Els & Patti for your comments.

I put the other sleeve in last night and will hopefully get a picture after work today. I think the other sleeve took care of the problem but definately want you both to look (and anyone else who cares to comment). I had not noticed the collar sliding to the right - it's so nice to have other sets of eyes looking!

When I removed the pin from the bottom, it definately is more open and just about how I would like it.

Thanks again - hopefully picture coming this evening.

Els said...

You're welcome.
Your new pictures with both sleeves in looks pretty good, but the jacket does not appear as loose fitting as the pattern sketch picture.
I wonder if you have enough wearing ease at the upper backside. Can you move your arms forward like if you are holding a tray in front of you?

Els said...

Your new pictures with forward arm pose shows that you can drive a car with the coat on, but I think you should add a bit more back wide ease for comfort.

fabricluver (Susan) said...

Thanks Els - do you mean starting at the center back seam and taper up to 1/2" on each side and opening it up all the way to the hem? That would give me more room all the way down.

Els said...

Yes you can add 1/2 inch from the hem up at the CB tapering to nil at the neckline, since the neckline is good.
Add 1/2 at the side seam and add ¼ to 3/8 inch at the armhole, your shoulder seam will be a bit longer now but if you use a wool fabric you can ease in the extra length or make the dart a bit deeper.
Or use the slash and spread method.

fabricluver (Susan) said...

Well - there is no CB seam. In working on 2 coats, (S4084 - trench is the other one) I had completely forgotten this pattern has no CB seam. So, I let the side seams out about 1.25" and then basted the sleeves back in. I'm really happy with the fit now. I feel it looks much more representative of the pattern.

Thanks again Els.