Friday, June 20, 2008

EJVC options presented by Marji


Just a couple of quick options off the top of my head.
The Marfy F1005 has the waist in the right place,
The Butterick has the back pleat and several neckline options, but you would want to drop that waistline significantly. That really high waist is going to serve to emphasize the bustline.
The pockets and the back pleat are easy design elements to add. The double breasted is going to be more challenging because it involves redesigning the collar
I added line drawings of a current McCalls, and the ever present favorite in my collection, Vogue 7978. If you were to use one of those, and chop the pattern apart at the waistline - the skirt part of the coat you're looking at would be fairly easy to emulate.

To get a raglan sleeve I believe you're going to need to look at Patrones or Burda - there aren't many raglan patterns out there right now, and what there are are generally the totally not fitted oversize jackets.

If you were willing to go with a set in sleeve, I think that there are several options above that would work well.

2 comments:

ejvc said...

Thank you for these options, Marji. I picked up a pattern drafting reference from the library today which explains how to alter set-in sleeves to raglan. I will try this - probably make two muslins for the top.

I went and actually got my muslin today (sold here in the UK as calico, the fabric they call muslin is much lighter in weight, it's more like what I know as voile). But I forgot shoulderpads. :-(

ejvc said...

Not sure anyone will see this, but the HotPatterns Deco Vibe Cocoon Coat has nice raglan sleeves.