Sunday, June 15, 2008

Gry's coat

First, a few words about myself. My name is Gry and I live in Copenhagen, Denmark. I am interested in pattern drafting and have the last three years been taking evening classes in pattern drafting at Københavns Tilskærer Akademi. This was a school of pattern drafting in Copenhagen. Sadly, it closed last month due to lack of pupils. The courses I have taken almost cover the same curriculum as the full-time course, but of course there were a lot less exercises at the evening classes. So I know the theory, but lack experience in pattern drafting. So far I have only made simple designs for trousers and dresses, and this is my first big project based on a home-drafted pattern.

The coat is based on a jacket I saw at H&M last winter. I wanted to buy it, but since we were doing wide raglan sleeves at my evening classes, I thought I might try to do it myself. I made the pattern at classes and adjusted it, but never got as far as to actually make the coat. So when I heard about this sew-along, I thought it was time to take up the coat again.

The design is an A-line coat with wide 3/4 raglan sleeves and vertical intersections. The pattern was based on a well-fitting block, so I mainly did the muslin to work on the design. Overall, I am very satisfied with the coat. The raglan sleeves fit very nicely. Still, there are a lot of details to work with:

  • The collar. Right now, I am most inclined to leave the coat collarless, but I have had about eight different collars up for consideration. A flat Peter Pan-style collar would give the coat a 60's look, a mandarin collar a 50's touch and a funnel neck-style collar a more modern look. I have also thought about more advanced collars. I will probably make a couple of different collars and try them out on the muslin.
  • The intersections. I will try to alter the slope a bit and make the intersections a bit more vertical.
  • Buttons. I like the look with just one visible button, but I don't know how to make the hidden buttons? In one BWOF magazine I found a model that used snaps instead of buttons, but I have also seen coats in shops with hidden buttons in different styles.
  • Pockets. I have made in-seam pockets, but I am still considering the details (I don't know the correct English term for the kind of pocket I have in mind).
  • Fabric. I designed the coat with a specific fabric from my stash in mind, but there is not enough fabric. It could work if I shortened the coat 2 inches, but I don't think I want to do that.
This the curse of home-drafted patterns. Every little detail must be considered, and there is no 'just doing as the pattern suggests'. The time spent on each project escalates rapidly as I gain more experience and get more options.

3 comments:

Nancy K said...

I like your coat. The lines are flattering and the fit is really great.

Marji said...

Thank you for sharing this project with us here. Again, it'll be fun to watch as you bring this to life.
Is the button closure you're considering a hidden placket such as the one Nneka will be making with V2935? Click here to see the pattern.

Gry said...

Yes, it was that type of closure I had in mind. Hidden placket. I lack a lot of sewing terms in English.

I've been to the library to find books and sewing magazines describing different ways to do it, but I don't know what I will do yet.