Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lindsay T: First Attempt at My Muslin

I'm making Vogue 7978, the view with the stand-up collar, out of bouclé.

My coat "vision": A lightweight, three-season coat that I can wear into the city and occasionally to work. Will be reminiscent of Chanel and will magically make me look 20 pounds thinner and 10 years younger. Or 10 pounds thinner and 20 years younger. I will probably wear it most often unbuttoned with jeans.

Here is my first draft muslin. It feels like the fit is where I want it to be, but I can't tell from these photos. The front looks a little baggy here but it doesn't feel baggy. You can see that I somehow cut the side panels a couple inches shorter than the other panels. I put on some shoulder pads (underneath the turtleneck) that aren't quite as thick as I'd like them to be, but that's all I had available. My DD gave me an unsolicited "looks good, Mom!" Experts, please weigh in with your opinions. Thanks!



4 comments:

Nancy K said...

The only think I think is that you need slightly thicker shoulder pads. As for the wrinkles in front under the bust, is it just a little too long in that princess seam? try pinning out a tuck and see what happens. I looked at this yesterday and came back to it today after thinking about it. The wrinkles aren't the usual for bust fullness in the wrong place I don't think.

Marji said...

Lindsay, IMO this looks great. The ease that you can't ease in prettily on muslin will go in just fine in the boucle you're sewing with. I never worry about the little puckers I get in the seams on muslin that are eased areas.
I do think that if you take the shoulder pad out from under the turtleneck, and use a slightly thicker one pinned to the muslin, it'll lift that little bit of wrinkle out of the back.
And I think the collapsing you're seeing on the Front is really just the nature of muslin, and that when you have your underlined coating fabric as well as your lining, that will all smooth out.
The only thing I can't tell from pics at these angles is how that shoulder seam is sitting on you. If the end of the shoulder seam is in the right place, on your shoulder bone, go ahead and set in your sleeves, then update this post with new photos.

Maggie said...

Don't forget you want some ease in a winter coat. I think it looks very good. The sleeves and shoulder pads will take up the ease in the upper back. You need reaching room there so don't go for a too tight fit.
marguerite

Nancy K said...

Do you think that Lindsay needs a small forward shoulder adjustment? It looks a little bit off to me.
I understand what you are saying about the wool easing, but the under bust wrinkles are pretty deep.