Monday, June 16, 2008

Cidell: Raincoating/Pre-Treating

I posted about this on my blog and Stitcher's Guild, but Marji suggested I post here too on my experience with pre-treating the B*berry raincoating fabric.



Leslie from Loohoo Originals had great results in pre-treating her raincoating from Michael's. I recalled Kathryn testing fabric and it came up softer and easier to ease. So, I took the plunge and washed three pieces (one from Michael's and two from Denver).


Two washed up perfectly. The last piece fell apart in the wash. It separated into two different pieces of fabric. I would NOT recommend washing these at home. I think I just got very lucky with my other two pieces.


The fabric is actually two layers with a waterproof rubberized material sandwiched in between and bonded. Because the two outer layers are cotton, they are more likely to shrink. But, the waterproof stuff inside won't.


So, to be safe, I recommend you just save this one for the dry cleaners.

1 comment:

Nancy K said...

After testing some swatches I went ahead and washed it. Mine was from Michaels, an I had no problem. I even washed one more than once.