Friday, May 16, 2008

I'll Go First

I know the timeline for this project has a bit of time to begin, but I'll start with why I want to do this. I am the queen of starting projects, but I'm always off schedule. There used to be a day (many, many moons ago) when I could start a project on Friday and finish it in time to wear to work or school on Monday. Somehow, and I have no idea how, my time management skills have deteriorated over the past two decades and it now seems I start things but rarely finish them in the time I have allotted. I'm working on changing that, and I'm also trying to finish things up rather than leave them in a bag half done, cluttering up the place and providing no useful garment.

Marji has a great idea. Coats are big projects, especially winter coats that tend to have multiple areas of interlining, interfacing, lining. Also details like welt pockets, lapel and collar details, bound buttonholes, you name it. It takes a while, and I'm the sort that waits for a cold weekend to start one. Then I don't finish it before the weather changes, and it sits till the next winter because I want to sew things I can wear. Starting a coat in July, and working on it only in bits (so presumably one can do other projects in the between-times) is brilliant. So, I've tentatively picked my pattern and fabric (from stash, pattern I bought recently but without a plan for it) and I'll go through my notions and buttons and such soon to make sure I have what I need. I should, I certainly have enough stuff. Great project! K

No comments: