Sunday, November 2, 2008

Tany's coat: satin tape and more on the buttonholes

As promised, I’ll show you some details before starting the padstitching on the coat. For attaching the interfacing, tapes and reinforcements I’ll be referring to Paco’s tutorial.

Let’s start by the satin tapes around the waist, which must be set before the interfacing and after stitching all the vertical seams of the coat’s body; the satin tape is hand stitched because I didn’t want to take the risk of damaging the velvet by using the sewing machine:

Another detail is the buttonhole treatment after basting the canvas in place. The right front interfacing must have the buttonholes cut out as rectangles, slightly bigger than the buttonhole size:

The buttonhole’s SAs are slipped through these rectangles as seen in the next picture:

The canvas is then hand basted to the front; the buttonhole Sas are trimmed, graded and tacked down to the interfacing:


Now I’m ready to start padstitching!

2 comments:

Nancy K said...

I has been many years since I hand tailored anything and your illustrations have made me really want to do it again. Next coat or jacket.

Ann Made Studio said...

Excellent work Tany. Your jacket details will be perfect!
It's so nice to see you are finding some time to sew :)