Monday, October 27, 2008

Lindsay T: Progress made, plus a question

I made considerable progress on my coat this weekend. The body is all done, having been pad-stitched, catch-stitched and machine-stitched; the sleeves are assembled and ready to be attached. Marji, you'd be pleased to know I'm actually getting into making this coat.

I also spent some time thinking about what extra touches I want to incorporate, as the OOP Vogue pattern I'm using is basically a blank slate. I photocopied the pattern illustration and then sketched various pocket and trim ideas. For now I've added two flaps at the high waist and I like the definition it gives my rectangle figure. Fabulous buttons will be a must, of course. You can see one of my sketch ideas at left.

Question: The pattern calls for inseam side pockets. I tried this with my coat and then ripped them out because it made me look thicker through the middle, and I want this coat to have a slim fit. I like the idea, though, of pockets as a place to put my gloves when I'm not wearing my coat. Is a patch pocket inside on the lining a bad idea? Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

Lindsay I like this style of jacket. Did you make your pocket with the same fabric as the coat? I also have inseam side pockets (single welt pocket),but I used the fashion fabric and the lining fabric to make the pockets and that didn't give me any bulk. I agree "Fabulous buttons will will be must". I haven't found them yet for my coat :{

Meg said...

I used lining fabric for the pockets. They looked perfect and they were nice and flat, it's just with the style I want you need to have flat seams all around.