Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gry: Shell Finished

Autumn is getting nearer, so I thought it was about time to get that coat finished. So far, I have assembled the coat shell:

I am not quite satisfied with the position of the pockets, but I will leave them as they are.

Still to do:

  • Finishing the collar
  • Sewing the linning
  • Hemming
  • Sewing snaps on (I gave up the hidden placket thing because I thought the fabric was too heavy for another layer).
I need to read a bit about linnings and hemming and I still have a problem with choosing the correct interfacing for my collar, but the coat should soon be finished.

I have written far and wide about the process on my blog fromthestash.blogspot.com.

6 comments:

KayY said...

It's looking good! Everybody is so quiet, maybe you and I are the only ones working on our coats??

Claire S. said...

The posting sure was a lot quieter in August than it was in June, wasn't it ? I 'have' been working on mine - although slowly, but have been guilty of not commenting on the others very much.

Gry & Kayy, I really like both of your coats. Gry, I'm amazed at the talent for someone to draft their own coat and can't wait to see it finished !

Dawn said...

I really want to get started but need some guidance. I don't know what/where to interface and I have no idea what to do with my envelope of notions I got from this group either. I've had the muslin done since the beginning of June. Soon, I'm just going to wing it and try to figure it out on my own.

Gry said...

I must admit that I mainly posted this in the hope that it would create some more activity on the blog. It seems like it has worked :-)

Thanks a lot, Claire. In many ways, it is easier to draft a coat based on a well-fitting basis pattern than fitting a commercial pattern.

Mary OK said...

Gry,
I love your coat. It is so modern looking!

Tany said...

Your coat looks amazing so far, Gry! I congratulate you for a fantastic job.