Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Jenny's coat shell - part 1

So I decided to just go for it and started constructing my coat shell last weekend.  Here it is so far.  It looks a lot like my muslin since it's a creamy white color wool flannel.  You may notice it's a bit shorter than my muslin was.  This is totally a result of material constraints.  I bought the fabric before I had a pattern in mind, and it's a miracle I got all the pieces cut out.  I should have bought more fabric.  Anyway, I think I'll be just as happy with a shorter length coat (as opposed to knee length).  It means less white wool to get dirty.

After I took the above picture,  I made my bound button holes.  This is only the second garment where I have used this button hole technique, so I'm pretty happy with the results.  In the picture, the lengths look a bit uneven.  I'll have to check that out tomorrow.  I'm spent for this evening.

Next, I think I'll put on the facings for the front, and then the collar (connects to the funny curved shoulder piece, not the fronts), and finally the sleeves.  I'm still a bit undecided about the horizontal pockets and flaps.  I left space for the inseam pockets, but I accidentally (wasn't thinking) sewed the horizontal pockets closed.  I'll have to check those out and decide if I should just take out that stitching or do some kind of welt.  I'm not sure, and of course, being a Marfy pattern, there are no instructions.  I must admit, I'm finding that pretty liberating.  I just do what I think should be done next.  So far, it seems to be working out ok...

Again, I'm using Marfy pattern 1414 for my coat.

4 comments:

Marji said...

before attaching your collar, I'm thinking you are going to want to do some shaping with interfacing - either the sewn in kind with pad stitching OR the fusible. I'll post the link to the Threads article that details how to apply interfacing layers to add shape to a collar.

Jenny said...

Thank you! I'm pad stitching as I type (well, ok, not this very second).

Marji said...

Jenny, this is looking really good.
I've looked a number of times at this pattern. Is there also a horizontal pocket opening? It appears from the photo to have a pocket flap over the inseam pocket - I wasn't even aware that they might have had a horizontal pocket in there too.

Jenny said...

Yes, there is a horizontal seam under the flap. There's a long rectangular piece there between the shoulder poiece and the pocket flap, kind of cut out of the front piece. However, on further inspection, I've determined it must just be over the inseam pocket. There is no pocket lining pattern for a welt pocket - only for the inseam pocket - and there would be no point I can think of to having two pockets right there.