Monday, July 7, 2008

Alexandra: New coat mock-up

Posted by Alexandra (Studio Alexandra)

After the fiasco with the Vogue pattern morph, I wasn't sure I wanted to sew another coat anytime soon. Alas, as a member of the Great Coat Sew-Along, I figured giving up was not an option. Neither was reworking those two patterns.
Burda WOF to the rescue! (I love that magazine; I'd cut my sewing teeth on it and I often wonder why I even try using other patterns when BWOF works so well.) This is BWOF 12/06 - #120.

Anyway, here is my first mock-up. Probably the last, too, because the adjustments needed are minimal. Here it is belted, which is how I prefer to wear my coats. (Red belt borrowed from the robe Babbette the dressform usually wears.)



And here it is without the belt. I'll need to raise the bust point. There may also be an FBA in the works, judging from the diagonal lines but I'll wait to evaluate that until after I adjust for erect back. I think the extra length may be contributing to the look. I'm not sure if I should shorten the sleeves a little bit or leave them as they are.








So far, I really like it. The hem hits me right below the knee, not that you can see it with the dark jeans in the pictures. I'm debating leaving it as is versus shortening to above the knee. I think I will wear this coat with skirts and knee-high boots, so shouldn't I have a bit of leg showing?

PS: Excuse the slightly dorky pictures - my paparazzo was already winding down and getting ready for bed when I pleaded with him to take some pictures. Great guy that he is, he graciously agreed. Tired guy that he was, he thought nothing of the door hardware visible in the view finder.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I don't have the skill to comment on alterations, but I do think your sleeve length looks great as they are. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait to get done with my vacation and back to a sewing machine so I can post my muslin pics!