Monday, November 17, 2008

WindPro as sew-in interfacing?

One of the advantages of having made the little Burda coat recently is that it allowed me the wearing experience of an interlined garment. I think I'd have preferred it if the interlining was attached to the coat itself rather than the lining. Since my big coat's interlining is a very stable fleece, Windpro from Malden Mills, I'm wondering if that wouldn't suffice, if pad stitched to the fashion fabric, as interfacing support? I realize this sounds a little unconventional - would any of you like to weigh in and help me think this through? Thanks so much!

3 comments:

Marji said...

As interfacing in place of hair canvas at the CF and the lapel area, and through the shoulders?
Or as the underlining to support the whole coat fabric?
I'm not familiar with the product at all, but my guess is that you'll want to sample a bit of it before making your decision.
Have you considered the Malden Mills product for everywhere except the areas that would get the interfacing?
I'm having trouble remembering your style, but if it's double breasted, or if there is enough overlap in the button area, would you really need the layer of interlining as well as your wool and interfacing?

Marji said...

I just looked, are you still making McCalls 5247?
Single breasted.
I just can't imagine a stable fleece having enough gumption to support all the shaping that goes into a lapel. I really enjoy the whole hand stitching process for shaping, but maybe you'll want to experiment with some of the fusibles, to use on your collar and lapel in addition to the fleece.

Digs said...

Ah, thank you, Marji, for coming back so fast. I've abandoned the McCall's for the time being - the winter biggie I'm about to start is Vogue 1266, view B, the double-breasted blue one, probably with some detail changes (for example, a box pleat in the back, and very likely an attachable hood). You definitely have a point that I won't need the warm interlining in the faced front sections - so yeah, it makes sense that I should interface at least that part. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!