Monday, November 17, 2008

Michelle L. Stalled for a Long Time, but Forging Ahead Now

I am working on the now-out-of-print Vogue 7988 for my fiance.


For a long time, I was completely afraid to cut into my fabric, because I felt completely overwhelmed and like I didn't know what I was doing.

I also spent a long time reading through some more books and internet resources on men's tailoring. But the best thing I did was I bought a men's coat from the goodwill and completely dismantled it so I could see how it was put together.

After that I was ready to cut into the fabric, and I am in the process of doing all the padstitching.

I also had to purchase a buttonholer for my sewing machine. I tried on scraps of fabric to make the buttonholes by hand, but I am a dismal failure at handmade buttonholes. I can make them on the machine, but I sew on a Singer 401 and 603, so no computerized buttonholes, I had to wait for Ebay to come through for me. Fortunately, it didn't take long.


There is a template for keyhole buttonholes, and I am sure it does a much better job than my shaky fingers do.

Now that I am "forging ahead" I will have some photos of coat progress soon.

2 comments:

Marji said...

Oh good! (BTW, I just picked up that same buttonholer on ebay, fits both my featherweight and the Pfaff 130 that'll go on the boat.)
I'm hoping to see this coat in person. ;)

Ann Made Studio said...

Good for you for forging ahead. You seem to be well equipped and once you start it will get addictive :) Looking forward to seeing your coat.