Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mary OK's Marfy F1022 knockoff muslin changes



At Marji's suggestion, I took out about 24" of the width of of the muslin to make the shape of my coat more like the design I am copying. The pleats are now 1 - 1.5 " deep, instead of 3" deep. Here is the result:


I optimistically named these photos "last muslin," but I'm not so sure about the wrinkles on the sleeves. Will they fill out with sleeve heads, lining, etc? I do like the design change, though.

Mary Pat, I am behind too. I have been working on a silk dress for a party this weekend. I can think about the coat again after the middle of next week.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

It looks very nice! I agree that the smaller pleats make the coat look more like the inspiration pattern. I am far from an expert, but those sleeve lines would worry me also. It looks like it's somehow twisted a bit. Hopefully someone can tell you how to fix it. At least it wouldn't be a big muslin change if you do need to modify something.

Gry said...

The coat is beginning to look really good. It must be nice that all the work you have put into this pattern is finally paying off.

I would not be so worried about the sleeves. They are going to look a lot different in coat fabric, and the alterations will in any case be minor. I am not an expert either, but when I look at the back view, it seems like there is somehow to much fabric on the sleeve cap. I think I would try to alter the sleeve cap, just a little.

Els said...

the sleeve wrinkles are probably caused by your straight posture and are easy to fix. See the diagram example I made at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77578373@N00/2768047436/sizes/l/

Mary OK said...

Thanks so much for the comments. Els, I looked at the diagram. That couldn't be easier! Will try it on the muslin and see what happens. Thanks again.