Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Drafting a 2 piece sleeve using a one piece pattern.

A member here was kind enough to send me this on drafting a 2 pc sleeve from a pattern for a one piece.
It's what I would have done, had I taken the time. It's an art - not an exact science, the conversion of a balanced symmetrical sleeve pattern, so be prepared to have a couple of goes at it in the muslin stage.

I'm not going to leave this up long, so if you plan to do this, read through it and get the directions down. Consider this a lending of the info. I'm going to take this down when I return from my next trip, August 10.

The article is by Margaret Komives and appeared in the Dec/Jan 1991 issue of Threads.

2 comments:

Claire S. said...

Thanks Marji, I'm learning more than I ever thought possible. I'm not sure I'll be able to get the McCall's sleeve to fit on my Vogue coat so I may be attempting to make the Vogue sleeve into 2 pieces. It doesn't 'read' to be too difficult, possibly just trial and error - we'll see.

We're away on holiday til next Thursday - I may go into sewing withdrawal before then. LOL

Dawn said...

Thanks so much for this great information!