Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Gry: My final collar

After a lot of experiments, I think I have finally found the perfect collar.



I think it fits the coat quite nicely. It is large enough to balance the A-line shape and has the right vintage feel to suit the coat.

I had quite a bit of fun constructing it. Details about the construction on my blog fromthestash.blogspot.com. However, I think I need a little help in how to sew this collar in the best way.

Here are the pattern pieces. I know they look kind of weird, with the very curved stand and the straight collar piece, but this is what gives the draped effect. I am going to cut the stand grain-wise and interface as I would do with an ordinary collar stand. The problem is the collar pieces. Both over and under collar are cut on the bias without a centre back seam. Should I make a centre back seam? I am also uncertain if I should interface the collar? The interfacing I have bought is woven and fusible.

Here is a picture of the fabric. I don't know the name of the type of fabric, but it is a medium-heavy quality, tightly woven, almost like felted.


I just need to make a few adjustments on the pattern and draw linning pieces, then I am finally ready to cut the fabric.

9 comments:

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

That's beautiful - I've never seen a collar shaped that way before!

Mary OK said...

What a beautiful collar. It is so original and elegant!

Els said...

Your collar looks fantastic, I would cut the collar at the bias and use a thin strech fusible interfacing plus stabilize the outer edge by using a fusible stay tape or a bias cut piece of lining steam pressed to the maximum stretch and sew this lining piece 3/4 cm wide a hairline away from the seam line.

Els said...

See an example how to add some widht for your collar
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77578373@N00/2719863782/

Gry said...

Thanks for the comments.

You are of course right, Els, the pattern needs to be adjusted to suit the fabric. I had not thought of it. Thanks for the help and the figure.

Jenny said...

I love that collar. It looks so unique!

Tany said...

What a masterpiece! You did a fantastic job, congratulations!

Patricia said...

That collar is gorgeous. Good choice!

Nancy Winningham said...

I love your collar. It looks vintage and couture at the same time.