Monday, June 2, 2008

Vicki's coat

My criteria for my coat:

  • Stash fabric only.
  • I want it to look good with jeans.
  • It needs to be trendy (but not too trendy)
  • I want it to be fitted.
  • Would like to use a pattern I already have.

I don't need a coat to go over suits as I drive to work and park in the same building. And really, in Melbourne it is not that cold except on those frosty mornings...brrr. So I would like a more fitted coat that works with tops and knitwear and looks great with jeans. I doubt I will need to under/interline it, but will take advice here.

The stash fabric selected is a maroon/Burgundy wool cashmere blend and the lining is a patterned viscose.




They were bought together a couple of years ago at the Alannah Hill outlet called Clear It. I love all things Alannah but find her clothes are too over the top for me. So, I like to take elements from her designs and make them my own - i.e. tone them down a bit!


I only have 2 metres (150 cm wide) so the coat will be short. I am thinking something waisted with a fullish skirt. I have Vogue 8299 that I could use for the top half and draft a skirt to that. The size of the skirt would be determined on how much I can get from the 2 metres!


View B (the red one) uses 1.4 metres which would only give me .6 to fashion a skirt.

To make it a bit more interesting, I would like to do some blue stitching on the outside on the seams to echo the blue lining and to give the maroon colour a bit of a lift.
I am looking forward to working on this with all of you. Thanks Marji!!

3 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

Vicki I love the colours of your fabric. The print is very pretty. The jacket is also very stylish.
Is your fabric 60"(150cm) or 45(115cm)? If you look at Butterick 5088 view C it only takes 2 meters,(size?) and McCall's 5190 (view D) only takes 1.75 - of the 60 wide fabric. So you should be alright with what you want to make :)

Ann Made Studio said...

oops,just saw where you say 150 wide :). So you really should be OK :)

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Vicki .- much success for this project. the fabric is beautiful and the lining is divine, besides the model is super-super. can be expected? : A wonderful thing, sure. best wishes. Paco