Thursday, May 29, 2008

Nneka's Texas Teal Topper

Well, originally I was going to just read-along, but I convinced myself that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to sew-along with all the talent on this blog. Besides, I didn't want to take up a space here and not have something to show for it. I've never made a coat before, so I'm hyperventilating my heart is beating a little fast as I type this, but here's my plan:



I don't need anything too heavy for our mild Texas winters. I think this fits the bill. That's Vogue 2935, a Sandra Betzina design. I'm planning on view A, but not so sure about the hidden placket front.

The fabric is a wool blend basketweave coating from fabric.com. I intend to line it with a silk jacquard. The pattern, fashion fabric, lining (2 options) and tailoring muslin are all currently on order or in transit, so I'm not yet sure how this fabric will feel or act or what type of internal structure (interfacing, underlining, etc.) I will need. There are a few other less exciting wools in my stash that I can substitute in a pinch.

I also have some of the lilac/rose Burberry raincoating and some trench patterns, including the BWOFs previously mentioned and Vogue V8480. I'll be paying close attention to those of you doing trenches or using that fabric for future reference. All said, I'm excited for the adventure.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the pattern. It will look great! The color will be outstanding!

Tany said...

What a beautiful fabric! I'm quite sure you'll do a wonderful job, your plan sounds great!