Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jamie's plan

This is going to be my first attempt at making a winter coat. I've made a lot of jackets and some unlined spring/summer coats in the past, but never anything like this!

I was originally going to make the Vogue Michael Kors coat from hubby's charcoal wool flannel, but he remembered that I had promised to make a coat for him too! So I'm going to attempt to make two - one for him and one for me. His will be from a very dark heathered charcoal wool flannel and Burda 8275:

I'm going to shorten it because he wants it to hit mid-thigh.

For mine, I went back and forth between a solid wool mohair blend (so gorgeous!) and a wool blend houndstooth. I wasn't sure of any of the patterns I have for the mohair, so I decided to use the houndstooth:

I'll be using McCalls 5247 View C (the version in red on the pattern envelope):


I realized after I put away the camera that I actually took a picture of the wrong side of the fabric, but you should get the idea :)

My only concern with this fabric is that it has lines of lurex running through it and I've heard horror stories about what happens when the needle hits lurex. Any thoughts??

2 comments:

Marji said...

Jamie, that leaves you and MichelleL and maybe one other here who're planning menswear coats.
There are some differences in tailoring a mens coat. Do you, (or perhaps Michelle) have a menswear reference book?

nancy2001 said...

You and your husband will be very well dressed this winter. I love your McCalls pattern.