Friday, May 30, 2008

Laura's Great Coat

well, I consider it a great coat.... Hi, I'm new to blogging, so any help and suggestions there would be great. I've decided on Vogue 1266, view C. I've purchased the red wool flannel from Gorgeous Fabrics (I'm really curious as to the exact color. I'm hoping it's a deep red.) and for the cuffs and collar, I'm going to use faux black lambs wool from Emma One Sock. I ordered a swatch and have to try it, though I have never sewn with it. I'm sure some of you have. Any thoughts on this? Also, I'm not sure what to use for an underlining. At first I thought about batiste, but after reading Marji's post today, I'm thinking cotton flannel.

I may be over doing it tho. I live in Atlanta, Georgia and our winters last about 3 months - Jan. thru March - and for this southern grown girl, it gets darn-right cold. Some of you may scoff at this, but when it drops below 45F, I'm freezing. I would never make it up north!

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and looking so forward to learning new techniques and seeing what everyone turns out.

4 comments:

Marji said...

I'm pretty sure that Shannon made a coat with the faux lambswool a little over a year ago. Find Shannon (hungry zombie couture) on the sidebar and follow the link to her blog, then go into her archives. Look at April 2007 first.

Claire said...

I may be born and bred in the northeast, but when it drops below 40 I'm with you...it's cold! Especially when it's damp and windy!!! What a beautiful coat this will be. It sounds like several of us are making red coats. I think we're looking for a bright spot during the dull winter months. ;o)

Unknown said...

I'm using that same red and even considered that pattern! I decided to go with on that doesn't have such a full skirt - but I love it! Can't wait to see your version (and I'm so new to all this - wool, tailing, coats - too). g

Dawn said...

Oh biy, I bought that fabric too. I also bought tge eggplant melton wool.