Saturday, May 31, 2008

My First Post - My First Coat

Well, I hope this works, this coat sewalong will be a lot of firsts for me...posting-wise and sewing. I'm in the group of 'already overwhelmed' :-). I was going to follow along quietly but I guess if I'm going to make the most of this opportunity, I'd better jump in, pick a project and just do it. So here goes...


I've got 3 meters of a charcoal wool flannel from Fabricville (Fabricland to those of you in Western Canada). Never worked with wool, this is really drapey and doesn't seem as thick as I expected for a coat fabric, so I hope it is actually coating weight (as it was advertised as such)...winters here in Montreal get pretty cold so I will underline (?) with cotton flannel - someone please tell me that the cotton flannel you are all referring to is the same as you would use for PJ pants, that's what I've got. Hopefully it will be warm enough, but if it turns out, is wearable and is just warm enough for Fall, I will still be thrilled.


This should be enough fabric to make V8346, View A which I really like. I pulled it out last night and read completely through the instructions (and didn't chicken out yet !). And so, a deep breath...

6 comments:

Marji said...

Really drapey is fine!
as far as the cotton flannel, yup, that's the stuff. You can get a head start on your fabric prep by throwing it (the cotton flannel, not the wool!) into a hot washing machine and then a hot dryer. You're going to have to do this 3 x's before it goes into the coat, in July.

To add extra warmth to a coat you could always use Kasha or Sunback for lining your coat.

Claire S. said...

Thanks Marji, actually I got a little paranoid - it was in the stash and had already been prewashed 3x - last night I put it through again 'just to be safe'

Lisa said...

Hi Claire,
This is my first coat also and I am using the same pattern and View. Can you believe all the pattern pieces???? It was overwhelming to me also, but this is too great of an opportunity!

Marji is a dream to have suggested this project. I really liked what she posted about NO question is to small to ask. I intend to ask lots of questions!

Claire S. said...

Lisa - I'll be right behind you with the questions ! These ladies are amazing to volunteer all this help.
I'm glad I'm not the only new kid on the block, it seems like there are alot of us who are going to gain much experience with these coat projects. Good luck with yours - we start tomorrow !

Claire said...

HI Claire S.....Claire C here stopping by to say hi and to tell you that I too will be asking hundreds of questions.

We are making different coats as I've chosen a Simplicity, but wouldn't it be a hoot if we had chosen the same coat?

I am planning to underline my mohair coat with flannel and I purchaed flannel back (Kasha) lining. I want a very warm coat.

Claire S. said...

Hi Claire, yup that would've been something - I knew I wanted to make a coat so during this past winter I started buying what I needed including a few patterns, but I didn't pay much attention to level of sewing skills required, just bought what appealed to me. Not necessarily the best plan.
I had a hard time deciding & I don't think V8346 is the easiest pattern I've got but it's definitely the one I like best.
Good luck with yours !