Saturday, May 31, 2008

books for reference

Recommended References

This is the book that was originally published as the Singer Tailoring Guide. I've got both copies, they are the same. Good basic info, Lots of pictures.



Adele Margolis has excellent books, most OOP as far as I know. This is the book that I own. There is an updated version, also OOP, and both are available on Amazon.com through the used booksellers there. Excellent reference book.

The complete book of tailoring for women who like to sew (Unknown Binding)by Adele P Margolis (Author)

And my old standby
Vogue Sewing. Mine is from the 1970's. They've just released a new edition, updated. I haven't looked at it and so I don't know if they've watered it down or if it still has all that old great information in it.
This is a pic of the New one, I don't have a pic of my old standby.



Not my favorites: Don't beat me up if you like these - this is MY opinion. I own these books, and quite frankly don't think they're worth the $.


Buy the Tailoring book up top instead.

I also own and will refer to Claire Schaeffer's books on Couture Sewing, Roberta Carr's books on Couture Sewing, a Variety of Fabric references, and my old Textile Science book - which I will never let go of.
oh, and I have a collection of about 75% of all the Threads Magazines ever published. ;)
There are lots of other references out there - and lots of tailoring books. Some are much better than others. If you own one that you think is particularly good, or one that you would NOT recommend, pls feel free to leave the info in the comments.
*Let's please limit it to references specifically pertinent to sewing coats/jackets.

ok, I just pulled out a book I haven't looked at in a long time.
Great Sewn Clothes from Threads Magazine
There are 29 used copies for sale at Amazon right now, starting at $3.94.
If I didn't already own this book, I'd be first in line buying it right now!!

There are 17 more copies available at Alibris.com right now.
I'm going to contact Taunton Press Monday and see if I can get permission to reprint parts of some of the articles here.


oh, thought I would add.
This one is on my WISH list at Amazon Tailoring:
Classic Tailoring Techniques: A Construction Guide for Men's Wear (F.I.T. Collection) (Paperback) by Roberto Cabrera (Author), Patricia Flaherty Meyers (Author)




and it sounds as if this one should be too. Both Tany and Els have quoted to me from it in the last 24 hours.

6 comments:

Tany said...

The references you listed are very good! I have all of those books too and I refer to them often, mainly the first one which is an excellent general reference and profusely illustrated with color pictures. My favorite (though it's not a book for beginners) is the "Tailoring, Traditional and Contemporary Techniques" by N. Marie Ledbetter and Linda Thiel Lansing. This book is a gem and I highly recommend it. There are a few more references of interest that I'd like to point out: from the book "Great Sewn Clothes - Threads on", the article Techniques of a Woman's Tailor (also featured in Threads magazine April 1989) and from the book "Jacket's Coats and Suits (Threads On)" there are a multitude of interesting articles (besides the Inside an Armani jacket which is also featured online): "Techniques and tops from Dior's RTW (Threads February 1990), "Fabulous Welt Pockets (Threads December 1990), "Drafting a Two-piece sleeve from a one-piece pattern" (no reference od Magazine and date), "Getting the best of Gabardine" (Threads June 1992) and these are just a few of the articles included.

Jamie said...

I have most of those books, but I just ordered that same menswear tailoring book from Amazon. It should be here by Friday, so if you need me to relay any information from it for anyone else doing menswear who might not have the book please let me know!

Sigrid said...

I have the first one (bought if after Tany wrote about it on her blog) and though I've yet to try most of it, it's a book worth having. Really very many pictures.

Nancy K said...

I have probably the same number of Threads magazines as Marji, and they are really invaluable. I also have a 1970's copy of the Vogue Sewing book and I think that it is a gem.
The Tailoring book that Tany recommended is going on my wish list!
That's just what I need.

LauraM said...

I should receive both the Singer Tailoring book and the Adele Margolis book by week's end.

Thank you Marji, for posting these resources for us.

Els said...

Another good and thorough book about sewing/tailoring for men is:

Sewing for men and boys.
I did a post about this book on TSD nearly 1,5 year ago http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/2006/12/27/book-sewing-for-men-and-boys/

There are 2 items up for auction right now at ebay.com

Item number: 230257424126

Item number: 230257824660

Plus 2 copies at buy it now.