Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lindsay T: A Wool Boucle Coat

Here are my coat plans:

Pattern: I wanted to try the Hot Patterns Riviera coat but it looks like my pattern order (actually an exchange with another HP pattern) won't arrive on time, so yesterday I ordered an OOP Vogue, 7978. I am going to make the stand-up collar, double-breasted view.



Fabric: A wool boucle that I bought at Paron Fabrics in the city. This is a past season Missoni that I gravitated toward for its multicolored flecks of yarn. As many of you know, I live in jeans and I think this coat has the versatility to go with denim or fancier fabrics. This boucle is a little more tightly woven than most boucles, so hopefully it will wear longer. I purchased fusible weft interfacing to bind the boucle to so it has even a little more stability.


Lining: Black silk charmeuse from Mood Fabrics.

Interlining: Black cotton flannelette from Rosen & Chadick Fabrics

Trim: None purchased yet, but I'm thinking about some kind of black velvet trim. Black looks great with this boucle.

Question for Marji: Will I be treating this coat like a longer version of a Chanel jacket, meaning quilting the lining and omitting the facings? Or do you recommend I make it like a regular coat?

6 comments:

Jenny said...

This coat will be so fun and stylish! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Marji said...

LindsayT I'd recommend you construct this like a coat.
The Chanel method of quilting the lining to a boucle results in a very soft garment that is more reminiscent of a cardigan than a jacket, and would be inappropriate for a coat.
I think your fabric beautiful, and you'll be happy with it fused to the weft insertion fusible as underlining then tailoring it as a regular coat.

Dawn said...

Oooooh, I love that boucle! I want to make a coat out of it but it scares me too.

Alexandra said...

Oooh, what a gorgeous fabric!

nancy2001 said...

Your pattern is a great choice for the beautiful boucle.

Nancy K said...

Beautiful fabric. It should be a very versatile coat.