Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lucinda's Plan - McCall's 5525


Hello all, I'm surprised this coat hasn't been mentioned yet! I've chosen to make view B from McCall's 5525 for this sewalong. I'm a little apprehensive since this is the first time I've ever tackled a project this complex, like many others here, so it will be quite the experience! I figured this would be a great coat for fall, and with the 3/4 sleeves, it would look smashing with some elbow length leather gloves.The pattern calls for lightweight cotton and cotton blends, even raincoat material, but I guess that I'd be able to use some wool gabaridne since it's supposed to be a lightweight coat.

Any input about the fabric would be great, whether or not to go with something else. Ideally I'd like to make it in wool or something of the same variety.

2 comments:

Tany said...

Hi stitchstitch!
I don't have much experience with wool gabardine but I've read that it can be a difficult fabric to tame. There's a great article about wool gabardine and how to handle it in this book: "Jackets Coats and Suits" (Threads On): http://www.amazon.com/Jackets-Coats-Suits-Threads-Editors/dp/1561580481/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product
This is a very good book packed with lots of info including:
"Getting the best of Gabardine" and "Inside an Armani Jacket", among other interesting articles, all from past issues of Threads.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much! My Mom has a ton of Threads magazines going back to 1996, so I'll have to go through them and see if I can find some of those articles. I think I remember seeing that Armani suit one...