Monday, May 26, 2008

Bonnie's Coats

Thanks again Marji for hosting this sewalong and for providing all the helpful hints! I plan to make two coats. The first will be made from Vogue 8346, View B. I made the shorter version of this last fall, intending it to be a muslin. But it turned out to be a wearable muslin and I wore the heck out of it! The fabric for this will be a wool coating from Gorgeous Fabrics. The lining will be a brown / pink polka dot.



The second coat will be a short raincoat. I plan to use Vogue 8480 and this fabulous two sided fabric purchased from Michael's Fabric (they still have this in red). A short raincoat is not the most practical idea but I already made a full length trench.


8 comments:

Lisa said...

Bonnie,
Love your fabrics! I bought my wool and within the week all the wool was on sale!!!!!

I am using the same pattern. Do you have any tips for using this pattern? I am using View A and will have to lenghten it as I am 6 feet tall.
Thanks for any input!

Lisa

Marji said...

Bonnie, your original of this coat is wonderful, in that lovely blue houndstooth.
There are enough people here using the raincoating from Michaels that I think it'll be worth a separate blog post. It's going to require some special handling.

Bonnie O. said...

Lisa:
I found this pattern to be very straightforward so I can't think of any tips for you. Here is a link to the review I did at PR which might contain some additional information for you. Good luck!

[I also paid full price. :o(]

Bonnie O. said...

Marji:
Looking forward to seeing the tips on the raincoat fabric!

Nneka said...

I also look forward to the raincoat tips! I bought some of that same fabric from Michael's & then I saw & ordered the lilac colorway from Denver Fabrics.
-Nneka

Nancy K said...

G Street fabrics has the fabric and matching lining on their on line site in several colors if anyone is interested.

Mon Café Couture said...

Bonnie, I just discovered your pattern and I love it. good luck with it!

nancy2001 said...

I love the pink wool with the brown and white dotted lining. Very unexpected and eyecatching.