Saturday, September 20, 2008

Jenny: Seeking shoulder pad opinions

I sewed in my shoulder pads, and I think they just look monstrous! My husband says I look like a linebacker. These are pads for a jacket or a coat, and they didn't look big in the package (they're not from Marji's kit since I live overseas). Here are the pics - details are pretty washed out (white coat in the sun), but you can see the outline. What do you think?

















Here is a pic I took before I put in the shoulder pads (or finished messing with the collar), for comparison.
I'm still happy with how this is coming along. I finally got the collar the way I want it. It stays put without having to mess with it every five seconds. I got a LOT of padstitching practice last week! After I work out what to do about the shoulder pads, I'll finish up the sleeve buttonholes and the sleeve and bottom hems, I think. Then comes the lining!! I've waited this long to finish the sleeves because I have freakishly long arms. Having long enough sleeves without a two-sizes-too-big coat is half the reason I'm sewing this coat, so I want to make sure they're perfect.

2 comments:

fabricluver (Susan) said...

Jenny - it's a little hard to see in the pictures but from what I can tell the shoulder pads give it a little more form. I'm only a beginner at this so hopefully someone with more experience will jump in and help out.

Marji said...

Jenny, are your shoulder pads the kind that you can peel apart and take a layer out? If you feel they're too big, then they're too big.
If they're the tailoring kind that are layers of batting, then you can cut them down, remove a layer, and basically reshape them.
It's really hard to tell from your pics since they won't get bigger by clicking on them.