Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fabricluver: How to preshrink hymo? Order of underlining & interfacing

I am getting ready to layout and cut all the pieces for the coat but realized that I haven't done anything to the hymo that I purchased from Greenberg & Hammer. Does this need to be preshrunk (is that a word?)? If so, how?

I googled and found where someone soaked theirs in water - hot or cold, how long and then line dry? The mohair was drycleaned, the silk organza and the flannel backed satin for lining in water and line dryed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The mohair is ready to cut and I'm going to do it first. The pattern V2884 calls for the front, side front, and back to be underlined. Since I am using mohair and don't want it to bag out, I think I should also underline the sleeves also - with silk organza on all pieces. Is this correct?

The hymo will be used where the pattern calls for interfacing. Those pattern parts are: front interfacing, pocket facing, under collar, and sleeve facing.

I am guessing the silk organza gets basted in first according to Ann's instructions and these stitches stay in. Then the hymo goes in with all the pad stitching according to Paco's instructions. Am I right or totally backwards?

3 comments:

Marji said...

Hi Susan, glad to hear you're progressing to cutting.
See the post here re interfacing before cutting your hair canvas. Depending on your pattern, they may not have you cut it all the way through to the armscye - if not, you want to do what I did to change the shape of your interfacing pieces.
Also see the post re interfacing where the parts to underline /interface are talked about.
Because you're using silk organza, you may underline under your interfacing - but it isn't strictly necessary. The interfacing is going to support the fabric, and unless there is a color show-through problem or some other issue, generally underlining is left out on the pieces that will get interfaced.
You may preshrink the hymo by soaking in warm water then laying flat to dry, and pressing.
Different sources recommend preshrinking every single item that goes into a coat - OTH, I've never preshrunk my hymo and never had a problem with it either.
You Definitely want to preshrink your tape.

Ann Made Studio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Made Studio said...

Hi Susan, I also soak, then spin in the washer, lay flat to dry and press. I pretty much do this for all my interfacing :)Works really well.